Chili in the summer? Why not! And the idea of using quinoa to make it a little heartier & higher in fiber is an added bonus. We used bell peppers in the chili for added color, flavor and vitamins. One surprising ingredient added was chocolate powder, a raw vegan cacao Superfood powder. Nutritionist Sophie has an amazing raw Superfood protein powder line called Philosophie, and one of the blends is called Cacao Magic. This blend has 8 organic ingredients in it and raw cacao powder & cacao nibs are the main ingredients. Adding this chocolate powder helped make the sauce a little richer as well as adding more nutrients to the chili.
- 2-3 Large Chicken Breasts
- 1 Can 15oz Red Kidney Beans (washed and drained)
- 1 Can (15oz) Cannellini Beans (washed and drained)
- 2 Cups Cooked Quinoa, red or white
- 1 Can (8oz) Organic Tomato Sauce
- 1 Onion (chopped)
- 4-5 Garlic Cloves (minced)
- 1 Cup Red and Orange Peppers (chopped)
- 2 Tbsp Honey
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Lemon (juiced)
- Lemon Pepper
- 2 Tbsp Philosophie Cacao Magic
- Cook quinoa by following instructions on package. Use low sodium chicken broth at a ratio of 2 cups of broth to one cup of quinoa. It typically takes about 12 minutes to cook through.
- Broil your chicken in the oven, adding lemon pepper or your favorite spice.
- Once the chicken is cooked, shred it with a fork and set aside.
- In a big pan, add olive oil over medium heat and cook the onions, garlic and peppers for about 2 minutes.
- Next add the lemon and honey, mix and lower heat.
- Then add the beans, quinoa, chicken and tomato sauce. Add more lemon pepper or sea salt if you wish. Mix well.
- Lastly, add the cacao magic powder and a couple dashes of cayenne and stir it all together.
- Transfer the mixture to a bake proof dish and bake for about 30 minutes until all of the water dries and everything looks crispy. While it is cooking in the oven, mix/toss mixture a couple of times.
- Optional: Feel free to add sliced avocado or a cheese of your choice if you wish.
Sophie Jaffe is a certified Raw Food Nutritionist and Raw Food Chef. She’s a member of the Yoga Alliance as an advanced teacher, is certified by the National Academy of Sports Medicine as a personal trainer and is a mother of two.
Sophie’s personalized detox cleanses and Superfood products have helped many. Delicious recipes and her supportive hands on approach make transformation simple and accessible. Learn more at: http://www.thephilosophie.com.